Choose Books for Xmas!

I love receiving books for Christmas. Not just poetry books. I like novels, as well. I will attempt to give a few suggestions based on my personal experience. Whatever you choose for your family and friends, may it be something you love. I hardly ever buy books I have not read (or that I would not want to read) as gifts. Also, choose indie whenever you can!
  
      1. Support small presses! Here are a few worth picking one or more books from:

Two Sylvias Press  http://twosylviaspress.com/
Dancing Girl Press http://www.dancinggirlpress.com/
Hyacinth Girl Press http://hyacinthgirlpress.com/

2. Support women writers! A few suggestions when it comes to poetry. Some books I have read or reviewed this year and that I truly love:

Alexis Rhone Fancher, How I Lost My Verginity to Michael Cohen: and other heart-stab poems (Sybaritic Press)
Susan Yount, House on Fire (Blood Pudding Press)
Kelly Boyker,  Zoonosis  (Hyacinth Girl Press)
Tania Pryputniewicz, November Butterfly (Saddle Road Press)
Margaret Bashaar, Letters from Room 27 of the Grand Midway 
Hotel (Blood Pudding Press)
Sandra Marchetti, The Canopy (MWC Press)
Erin Elizabeth Smith, The Naming of Strays (Gold Wake Press)
Juliet Cook, Thirteen Designer Vaginas (Hyacinth Girl Press)
Michelle Reale, The Legacy of the Sidelong Glance (Aldrich Press) 

3. Some Gift-worthy Fiction I have read or reread this year:

Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace
Julio Cortázar, Hopscotch
Goliarda Sapienza, The Heart of Joy
Luis Sepulveda, The Old Man Who Read Love Stories
Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
Boris Vian, Heartsnatcher
Patrick Modiano, Dans le café de la jeunesse perdue
Toni Morrison, Home
Gabriel García Marquez, Memory of My Melancholy Whores
K.A. Laity, Pelzmantel


Happy Reading! 
Happy Holidays!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visceral Anne Sexton

Wearing Poetry

Recalling Pier Paolo Pasolini: A Force of the Past