Let July Come!

June has been a month full of pleasant surprises. More than I could have predicted. A month in which I have started writing and submitting poetry again with new enthusiasm.

And then, HEARTFIRE, Second Revolutionary Poets Brigade Anthology edited by Jack Hirschman and Agneta Falk has reached Rome in a box full of contributor's copies. It is a joy to have one's poems in there and it is a greater joy to have had the chance to translate into English so many wonderful Italian poets. The book is a thing of Beauty. If anyone happens to be in San Francisco next July 7th, please don't miss the chance to celebrate the launch party of the book at The Emerald Tablet. Many wonderful poets will be there. Go, listen to them recite revolutionary poetry and get youreslf a copy of the book. It will be a very lively event. No doubt!




June 11th is a date I will never forget. Patti Smith was in Rome for the presentation of the Italian translation of her Woolgathering. It was great to meet her, it was great being hugged and talking of poetry and authors I love with my muse. The words she wrote on my copy still resound deep within me: "Have a beautiful life." Such a beautiful wish. I'll do my best to accomplish it!



I also met a very talented artist, Chuck Sperry early last month, thanks to Alan Kaufman who kindly introduced us. His work is amazing and inspiring. He is the most generous soul and I cannot thank him enough for having given me as a present one of his posters of Patti Smith. He sent me a message saying very beautiful words about my poems. I actually wrote a poem inspired by his Muse Thalia that I saw at the exhibit of his works at Mondo Bizzarro Gallery.



Then there was Alejandro Murguia's reading in Rome last Monday. He is the new SF Poet Laureate and a marvelous person and poet. We spent a lovely afternoon the following day in Testaccio talking about Jack for  almost 2 hours. It was a great moment. Very informative for my WIP that keeps moving forward.

I have also talked to my sister and poet Michelle Reale when she was in Sicily. She is truly a beautiful person. I do look forward to meeting her in Rome soon and to reading her latest chapbook.

John's arrival in Rome is due next week. I can't wait. It's been too long already since last October. John and I have a couple of collaborative projects in mind for this summer and, so much more than that. Let July come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visceral Anne Sexton

Wearing Poetry

Recalling Pier Paolo Pasolini: A Force of the Past